THE NORTHERN LIGHTS BLUEGRASS AND OLD TYME MUSIC SOCIETY INC. IS A NOT FOR PROFIT ORGANIZATION FORMED IN 2006.
WE ALWAYS HAVE LOTS GOING ON:
- We host a three day Music Festival the third weekend every August at the beautiful Ness Creek site in Northern Saskatchewan.
- The week after the fest we hold a Music Camp, keeping the main stage acts as instructors in traditional instruments for all ages and skill levels – from beginner to virtuoso.
- Throughout the year we host bluegrass and old time concerts, workshops, dances and community events. We have been across the province and beyond – from Dorintosh to Carlyle, Tisdale to Bienfait and many a place in between. Check out our Events Calendar for upcoming events.
- Shivering Strings West is a winter old time music camp we began in 2011 based on the Shivering Strings East camp in Nova Scotia founded by Gordon Stobbe. The camp is held in Saskatoon the last weekend in January every year and includes a fabulous old time dance!!
- On the first Tuesday of every month, at 11am to Noon (CST) we host Northern Lights Music Hall on CFCR radio’s So Many Roads show. 90.5 fm in Saskatoon / www.cfcr.ca for live streaming.
The society exists to provide opportunities to enjoy and participate in bluegrass and old time music and to preserve and promote these genres in Saskatchewan and beyond. The education component and connection to our prairie heritage makes the organization more than a festival and entertainment provider – it is part of the culture of the province and an active participant in making and preserving history.
Sounds about right.
Membership in the Northern Lights Bluegrass and Old Tyme Music Society Inc. has benefits! Members are encouraged to attend and participate in the Society’s meetings and have the right to vote for or serve on the Board of Directors.
Another benefit is that members may attend the festival itself in exchange for volunteer time. The Society and Festival are products of a volunteer run non-profit organization. Society memberships are $10 per year.
If you would like more information about becoming a member of the Northern Lights Bluegrass and Old Tyme Music Society, please email us.
Many volunteers contribute many hours to make the Northern Lights Bluegrass and Old Tyme Music Society Inc.’s activities a reality. All volunteers must be paid members of the Society. Volunteers must work a minimum of 8 hours to receive free entry to the festival.
Click here for more information or to apply as a volunteer and receive information about becoming a member of the Northern Lights Bluegrass and Old Tyme Music Society, please email us.
A FINE OLD TIME
Old Time music has a rich history on the prairies, especially in rural areas. We call it our “prairie heritage music” and it is as diverse as the people who live here – polkas that originated in Eastern Europe, reels and schottisches from the British Isles, foxtrots & square dances from the USA jigs & two-steps originating with the French/Métis cultures.
A key aspect of our programming is promoting education and interaction opportunities with artists through workshops and jams in our host communities. Our school workshops have reached over 2000 children, mostly in rural Saskatchewan and our evening concerts and dances bring all ages together in both large and small communities.
Northern Lights Old Time music and dance tours feature professionals who are some of Canada’s best old tyme musicians. Combinations of artists are assembled for each tour. The school shows include both performance and dance, with a focus on audience participation through movement and rhythm.
To book a school show or an evening concert/dance, please CONTACT US.